Oral cancer Awareness month
1st Nov till the 30th Nov
Here at Churchill Dental, feel confident in knowing that every appointment with a clinician will include a full oral cancer screening.
- Oral cancer is disease which caused 7700 deaths in 2011
It historically affects more men than women:-
Roughly 4500 men and 2500 women.
- People over the age of 40 are more likely to be diagnosed with mouth, head and neck cancer
- It affects any part of the mouth such as lips, cheeks or tongue.
- The main risk factors is tobacco use , in any form such as smoking cigarettes, ‘roll ups’, cigars, pipes and also chewing tobacco products such as pan, betel quid and snuff.
- Drinking alcohol is also a risk factor for Oral Cancer; Combined with smoking the risk is increased up to 30 times!
- Recent new research suggests that in the next 10 years the Human Papilloma Virus(HPV) transmitted through oral sex will become the main risk factor for developing Oral cancer
Please make sure you regularly see a Dentist/ Therapist/Hygienist for an examination at least every 6 months and any lumps, non healing ulcers/wounds which remain in the mouth/lips for 10-14 days or more should be reviewed by a dental professional.